The History of Wayfield Foods
Wayfield Foods was founded in 1982 by Ron Edenfield and Ralph Calloway with hope to be the store of choice in the community. The name Wayfield is the combination of the ending of the co-founders’ last names, but it quickly began to stand for quality meats, superior service and competitive prices. In 1989, Ron Edenfield bought out his partner, making him the owner and president. Since that time, Wayfield Foods, with the help of its extraordinary staff and dedicated managers, has opened stores throughout Metro Atlanta, has supported the surrounding communities, has provided college scholarships and is known as a leading community employer with more than 500 employees throughout its various locations.
In an effort to encourage and show appreciation to our associates, Wayfield instituted an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). This allows all eligible associates to enjoy part ownership in the company as they dedicate themselves to working hard to build the value of our business. In 2005, Wayfield established an Employee Care Chaplain program as a voluntary, confidential benefit to any associate and their families in times of need. In 2009, Wayfield began hosting “Community Impact Day” every quarter to provide life changing information and inspiration to the neighborhoods we serve as well as our employees.
It is our pleasure to welcome you to the Wayfield story and we invite you to join with us in continuing our mission to glorify God through our commitment to integrity, our pursuit of excellence and our respect for everyone. The best part of our history is yet to be written and we hope it begins with you.
- 1982 Wayfield Foods co-founders Ron Edenfield and Ralph Calloway open doors to customers in May.
- 1992 Wayfield begins ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) to empower associates with part ownership in the company.
- 1996 Wayfield begins Golf Charity Tournanment to raise money for associate scholarships and to support worthy organizations like MDA.
- 2005 Wayfield Foods invites MarketPlace Chaplains USA to provide voluntary and confidential employee care to its associates as an additional benefit and to promote the welfare of the associates’ families.
- 2009 Wayfield begins its Community IMPACT Initiative to enhance and coordinate community involvement by providing systematic support of schools, churches and other groups making a difference in the neighborhoods of our customers every day including donations, sponsorships and conducting/supporting community events promoting- Health Awareness, Education and Empowerment.
- 2012 Wayfield Foods celebrates 30 years by opening two new stores and moving into a new corporate office to facilitate even greater services to our customers for years to come.
- 2014 Wayfield Foods celebrates 32 years by opening a Wayfield Foods in Fayetteville, GA with an Ace Hardware located inside.